International trade is a trillion-dollar business, with air freight representing ~35% of the addressable market. In Southeast Asia alone, the total market size is ~US$4B+, with sector growth driven by a once-in-a-generation opportunity; e-commerce penetration. E-commerce fulfillment in itself is already a US$2B+ space, growing 30% per year. As an operator transporting cargo to over >110 airports across Asia, we are at the frontlines of this large, but unsexy space. This white space motivates us to redefine the way the supply chain operates and be the one-stop end-to-end delivery solutions provider.
We are looking for an individual with strong legal knowledge and technical fluency to fill the position of Senior Legal Counsel. You will be hired by our headquarter in Singapore (HQ). You will be part of the legal team of the HQ overseeing our subsidiaries in many other countries. You will be based in Singapore or Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
A DAY IN A LIFE
As a start up, you can expect your days to be pretty varied. Multitasking is normal, and sometimes, your skills or natural talents will be leveraged to support other business priorities. That said, the bulk of your working hours should involve you having to:
- Review agreements for commercial transactions of all Teleport entities (Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines, India, and any other country to come)
- Ensure that the internal SOP for agreement is being adhered to by all Teleport entities (commercial terms have been rerouted to all relevant stakeholders, the signing process is correct, the signor has authority to sign, etc.)
- Advise on various issues (sometimes general commercial issues) related to aviation, logistics, and technology sectors.
- Oversee document-archiving mechanism
- Oversee legal compliance of all Teleport entities, including licenses (administrative and operational). Legal team of local offices will report to you on this
- Prepare relevant documents (paper, resolution, presentation slides) for the Board and/or shareholders of Teleport and to certain extent, AirAsia Group (mainly due to the fact that these companies are listed companies)
- Identify best legal practice to be adopted by Teleport as a group of companies such as protection of IP of Teleport, avoidance of disputes, proper and legal usage of communications
- Draft templates for documents (agreement, letters, securities) or constantly reviewing and improving the templates that Teleport already has
- Create and/or improve internal SOP of Teleport
- Handle establishment of Teleport’s entity in another country, which most of the times involved a local party (joint-venture). Local lawyer will be involved to verify or to review your documents from local law perspective.
- Assist Teleport’s portfolio companies (subsidiaries in other sectors, predominantly IT) in their legal needs (questions, review of agreements, legal case)
- Review publications or announcement made by Teleport
At the onset, you may be culture-shocked working in AirAsia and with the Teleport team. To help you adapt better, we would like to share our beliefs on leadership. Put simply, you are a leader, we all are leaders and good leaders:
- Roll up their sleeves as needed, and never delegate work that one would not be willing to do themselves
- Do what is needed to get things done, as they believe speed is more important than anything else to effect change
- Over communicate, particularly as they are all quite autonomous
- Take care of our staff, and treat them as they would want to be treated
- Are rigid on goals, but flexible on the details
These are minimum-requirement skills and a ‘must-have’ for the role:
- Strong legal knowledge and technical fluency
- Analytical and problem-solving skill
- Comfortable multi-tasking
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Ability to thrive under pressure
- Speedster or fast thinker– able to solve problems on-the-go and adapt quickly
- Excellent communication (orally and in writing) and interpersonal skills
- Competent leadership and management skills
- High attention to detail
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
These are skills that are ‘nice-to-have’ and will make you stand-out in the job application:
- Familiarity with Google Suite (Docs, Sheets, and Slides) is a plus
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Corporate commercial related fields, PQE [6-10 years]
- Working experience in a reputable law firm or in aviation, logistics, and technology sectors will be a plus.
- Law degree from a reputable university. A member of bar association in your preferred country (except for Malaysian candidates working in-house).
- Fluent in English and local language
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Teleport is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive due consideration for employment regardless of race, colour, religion, disability, sex, age, ethnic or national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or presentation, pregnancy or any other status protected by National Law.